Thoughts about Obduction

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thoughts about Obduction

Post by PythonBlue on 4th April 2017, 01:08

Took me long enough to discover that Obduction is finally available for the Mac.

That being said, for those who were able to play Cyan's latest game, what are your thoughts?

Graphically, it's pretty cool (though I didn't like that I needed to upgrade to the latest Mac OS to play it properly), and the return of live acting is certainly impressive, in my opinion, given we're talking a 3D game and not a 2D one. Musically, however, as much as I loved Robyn Miller's music for the first two Myst games, I honestly felt his return to composing via this game was just okay. Then again, I've always loved more artificial sounds, especially the more dated sounds, whereas he was clearly trying to sound a bit more organic and modern this time around.

As for the gameplay itself, crazy as it may sound, I'm finding ASA easier to progress in so far. Terrible Joke Then again, Obduction is also a 3D game with the option to free roam around areas, meaning a lot of exploring to do the first few times you play.

Thoughts from anyone else? I'm also curious if any other sound people recognized a squeaking gate sound early on in Obduction from Riven... Terrible Joke
PythonBlue
Follower

http://python-blue.bandcamp.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts about Obduction

Post by Simon_Icehouse on 4th April 2017, 11:11

Oh Obduction... Long story short: disapointed!

I found it technically excellent (level quality of the graphics, textures and even the music): it's a modern game without a doubt, made by skilled developers. However from an inspirational and artistic point of view, I didn't like the world and designs, the music didn't please me a lot, and moreover I didn't feel a lot of immersion in the game (I couldn't finish it, I got bored).
The gameplay was not great, heavy, with a lot of walk for nothing special to see (there was few around to look at to really amaze me, few curiosities, few little things that bring life to the world).
Very far from what I could feel with Riven in its time (and that I still feel).

Maybe I was expecting too much from Obduction (i.e. bringing back the Myst-like genre to life, and to a successful era)?
Simon_Icehouse

http://www.simonmesnard.fr

Back to top Go down

Post by PythonBlue on 4th April 2017, 13:57

Well, at least we agree about the music. Terrible Joke In retrospect, one thing I noticed about many modern soundtracks (which I myself am guilty of, though I am trying to work on it) is that any melodies in them tend to not be anything memorable.

I also did see what you meant about lots of moving around with little to do, though in my opinion, I think that's a decent way to combat the need among some to have a walkthrough with them at all times.

Yeah, I may like the game a little bit, but I do see where you're coming from. Maybe I'm just eager to give Cyan a chance, since this is their first game independent of the Myst series in a long time.
PythonBlue
Follower

http://python-blue.bandcamp.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Simon_Icehouse on 4th April 2017, 14:53

I've been a bit tough with Obduction above, because despite everything I said, I liked the game somehow. Dispointed yes, but it's still a good game and I can't deny it. Didn't have the feeling to waste my money (like it could happen in the past with other games).
It's just a matter of point of view, and I know that I enjoyed some parts of the game (and I still want to finish it someday, so it's a good point).
Simon_Icehouse

http://www.simonmesnard.fr

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum